Israeli Startup Cylus Offers Cyber Security for Trains
Cylus is teaming with Egis on a new project.
Cylus, an Israeli startup founded in 2017, is a global leader in rail cybersecurity. The company has partnered with Egis, an international group in the construction engineering and mobility services, to create a center of excellence for “cutting-edge” rail-focused cybersecurity services.
Cylus helps rail and metro companies avoid safety incidents and service disruptions caused by cyber-attacks. Yes trains do need to be concerned with this threat too.
Everything is operated at least in part by computers and automated systems. Train travel needs to be coordinated in order to avoid accidents. Computer systems let the train operators know when they need to slow down because of upcoming curves or roads that intersect with the train tracks.
Controllers need to stay on top of all of the location and various speeds of numerous trains to prevent collisions. Their operations are obviously made easier through the use of automated systems.
Any and all computer systems can be hacked. So locomotive systems are at as much threat to cyber terrorism as air traffic control, the military and private companies. Such attacks can be political in nature, perpetrated by terrorists or nations to cause harm on the object of their attacks. But there are also hackers who engage in these activities just for the fun of it and who have no concern for how their actions may take human life.
The Center of Excellence enables rail companies to be more proactive about their cybersecurity operations, giving them an important leverage in terms of cybersecurity as well as safety.https://t.co/ofovARsrHe
— Cylus (@Cylus_Security) November 15, 2020
Cylus states that it was founded to help mainline and urban railway companies avoid safety incidents and service disruptions caused by cyber-attacks.
To that end the company developed CylusOne which it describes as the first-to-market solution designed to meet the unique cybersecurity needs of the rail industry. CylusOne detects cyber threats in the operational network, both trackside and onboard, facilitating a timely and effective response before any harm is done.
Its new center of excellence created together with Egis will support railway companies around the world in building cyber resilience and securing critical networks.
“We look forward to working with Egis Rail, who has decades of experience in providing mobility services around the globe,” said Amir Levintal , CEO of Cylus. “This partnership strengthens our capabilities, rail organizations in the defense against End-to-end support for cyber threats. Our shared services are specifically designed for the rail industry, allowing our customers to focus on their day-to-day operations, business and growth, while leaving their cyber defense management to our security experts.”
Egis is a major international group in the construction engineering and mobility services sectors whose unique global service range encompasses infrastructure consulting, engineering and operation. A 75%-owned subsidiary of Caisse des Dépôts, with the remaining 25% held by partner executives and employees, Egis imagine a sustainable future, working for populations and social progress.